Photo belongs to aussiegallUnlike most people, I happened to miss the GLEE pilot when it aired on Fox back in May. But thanks to Amanda over at her terrific blog, Amanda the Aspiring Screenwriter, I found out about this great new series in the nick of time. After reading a mixture of positive and negative reviews, I knew I had to see it for myself, and not just because it was a hot TV topic. A struggling high school teacher trying to bring back the Glee club with only a small group of misfit students – who wouldn’t want to watch that? Lucky for me, I caught the pilot online so that I would be ready for the series when fall arrived, and ever since, I’ve been acting strangely…well, gleeful. Now with Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan's new series regularly airing on Fox, I thought I’d tell you just why I love GLEE so much. How do I love GLEE? Let me count the ways:
1. Root for the Underdog
When I first laid eyes on Underdog cartoons, I decided from that point forward that I would root for the underdog. Just because it sounded cool. Though later on, I actually did become an actual underdog fan. There’s just something amazing about watching someone who you never thought in a million years could do it, actually do it. What’s fascinating about GLEE is that it’s not exactly your typical group of underdogs. Sure, we have the nerd, the fashion-conscious, the diva, the socially awkward…but we also have star-aspiring Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and star football player Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith), two students with unbelievable musical talent. To me, that’s where this story gets interesting.
2. Humor Flashes – Like Flashbacks, Only Funnier!
The first few minutes or so into the pilot, my initial reaction was that this is possibly the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. By the end I fell so completely in love, this love story leaves me no choice but to compare GLEE to that ugly puppy you wind up carrying out of the pound. Looking back, I realize that part of my reaction could be attributed to the particular comedy style – quick, flashes of hilarity in the midst of scenes to accentuate character drama (as dramatic as you can be in a comedy) or to prove a point. To the un-trained eye and ear, at times it feels a tad “in-your-face”, but it’s actually the exact opposite – a subtle sort of humor that, even if it doesn’t get you laughing at least it gets you thinking. There’s nothing I love more than subtle humor. Beats flashbacks any day.
3. High School Musical Meets Spectacular…and Nobody Gets Hurt
Despite the obscene amount of buzz and promotion it received, High School Musical isn’t really all that bad of a movie; and even though it wasn’t quite worth singing praises, Spectacular gained a so-so rating from me. Now of course both titles come up in reference to GLEE, usually with negative undertones, but I like to think that it’s not exactly that GLEE is better – just better executed. I like that, while it does incorporate music it’s not technically a musical, and I like that it covers a club that’s practically nonexistent in today’s world (my younger sister asked me – what’s a glee club?). And I like that, unlike the two “kiddy” version people so kindly reference, it has a wider range of appeal.
4. Diversity (Gays and Wheelchairs)
The way it used to be, especially in media and entertainment, subjects like this could be easily sidestepped and hardly anyone would ever take notice. However, it’s a very different world nowadays, and it’s not exactly odd to talk about your gay relative or to have your best bud rolling alongside you in their wheelchair. In fact, it’s odder to keep pretending that people like this don’t exist. By crafting such varying personalities we can no longer see the show through any one character’s eyes. Plus, it makes room for more situations – both humorous and dramatic.
5. Stereotypical Cliques
Coming from a person who’s usually not a fan of stereotypes, this one might seem kind of strange. Even though, more often than not, they fit the bill, I prefer to think that not all cheerleaders are sassy manipulators and not all gays are into fashion, and not all teachers are struggling just to get by. But in this case, it fits. Trying to imagine this series without all its stereotypes and cliques would be like trying to imagine THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR without all the white man cracks. It’s a part of the culture. Expected – perhaps, but the show wouldn’t be the same without it.
6. Struggling Teacher with a Dream
I’ve always thought teachers were the best – it certainly seems strange that we honor doctors, scientists, lawyers, and celebrities first. Who do we think made all that possible for those people? So I think it’s awesome that we have struggling high school teacher, Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) as our central character. But he’s not just a teacher. He’s a person who’s starting to remember what it feels like to be excited about something. So what if he channels that excitement into a seemingly ridiculously small Glee club start-up? His (expecting?) wife and the power-hungry cheer coach might not understand or even give a hoot, but for once he cares, which makes me care. Not to mention Matthew Morrison makes it worth the watch.
GLEE airs on Fox, Wednesdays @ 9/8C
No comments:
Post a Comment