Imagery or Artistry? Explict vs. Amended Lyrics

Censoring music is a huge pet peeve of mine. Of course with traditional radio I really doesn't get much of a choice, but when I'm chilling at home listening to my music, I always opt for the - explicit version. Not just because of the "censoring" issue, but because I love feeling that "punch" the artist originally intended us to feel.

Liz Phair's "Why Can't I?"...Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend"...Akon's "I Wanna Love You"...are just a few examples of artists I listen to with songs that require either a "clean" version or a "radio edit". But my very favorite example of a singer/songwriter who has found success with his often "not very PG" lyrics is Christofer Drew Ingle (a.k.a. NeverShoutNever).

From the "BigCityDreams" early days to his album releases, "What Is Love" and (his more recent) "Harmony", Chris writes his music with not only heart and a unique sense of style but with dogged determination to sing whatever the he** he wants.


How do you view explicit vs. amended versions of song lyrics? Does censoring music give it less punch, or does it depend on the song? I'd love to hear what you think in the comments.

____________________________________________________
Photo Credit: dullhunk

1 comment: