Ever have anyone else tell you "it can't be done"? Yeah, me too. Take that cardboard-box-robot up there for example - I bet before now you thought that couldn't be done.
He's a whole new take on the classic saying, "think outside the box." Although he's not the only one with a new perspective on the saying - recently I found the article, "Exactly What is 'Thinking Outside the Box?'" by Ed Bernacki for CanadaOne Magazine, where Ed delves into thinking inside versus outside the box. I've been thinking about just this subject all week, and so I started thinking about some of my fellow so-called "thinkers" that did more than just "think outside the box" - they actually went somewhere with it. And I thought Ed's "Thinking Outside the Box" bullets would be the perfect tool to illustrate:
"Supporting and respecting others when they come up with new ideas."
Justin Frankel coded the Winamp Media Player - then made the player available for free so that others could share in his creation. With multiple teams under its roof, the company, Nullsoft, keeps the focus on its community to this day.
"Listening to others."
John Vesley, the musician behind Secondhand Serenade, jump-started his music career not only by taking advantage of social networking website, Myspace but by establishing and maintaining an online fanbase.
"Striving to create value in new ways."
Author Nancy Spiller wrote her novel, Entertaining Disasters with a twist - she scattered recipes throughout the story.
"Focusing on the value of finding new ideas and acting on them."
College student Mark Zuckerberg put his vision of an online community out into the world when he created Facebook.
"Openness to do different things and to do things differently."
When British rock band Radiohead originally released their album, In Rainbows, they let the consumer decide on the price.
"Willingness to take new perspectives to day-to-day work."
This is something I try to do every day. How about you?
On which side of the box do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment