Planting Seeds of Happiness



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."


Words of wisdom courtesy of Ferris Bueller. It also seems to be a common theme as I reach the end of the week, and I think it's advice well worth the listen.

In the past couple of days I recently discovered that my 3rd-5th grade Japanese teacher, Nana Akikusa, is also a published author of a Japanese children's book - the children's book, The Seeds of Happiness. Normally I'd say small world, but once I got over the initial shock that I hadn't known in the first place, it actually made a lot of sense. She always integrated storytelling into our Japanese lessons, whether in the form of Japanese legends and fairy tales or in teaching us a new children's song.

Excitingly enough, thanks to a friend, I was fortunate to actually hold a copy in my own hands and read to myself the fun, sweet story that her simple words and illustrations tell. A different take on the tale of The Tortoise and the Hare, fast-moving rabbit Uggie feels suddenly sad with no clue as to why, and at the urge of slow-moving turtle Kalm, he starts to realize all the wonderful things in life he has been missing...and how giving to others brings the ultimate happiness. Written in both Japanese and English alongside the illustrations, the seemingly tiny book makes for a very large message.

For more information, visit Nana's official website - nanadream.net.

What seeds are you planting today?

No comments: