Photo credit: --Sam--Today I found yesterday's halfway pep talk in my inbox, and like a trick-or-treater on Halloween I just had to read it. Like right now. And, ooh...I feel so much better about my script now because if Jennifer Artz is as far behind as I am, I don't feel like such a, as my sister would put it, noob. Except not really. Because I keep procrastinating.
Oh look, Script Frenzy on Facebook!
But just like you, I need. to. start. writing. Like right now. Except I'm currently stuck in that oh-so-mathematical place where the brain shuts down, you quit writing (or start writing jibberish), and you resort to nibbling that chocolate bunny left over from Easter instead. That or, spasming into the urge to Google the Adventure Time pilot that first aired on Nick.
Did I mention I keep procrastinating?
The thing is though, no matter what or how many Words of Wisdom or encouragement we listen to, it just never seems to be enough:
Scripts don't write themselves.
Just write one sentence. Or five pages.
We're all in the same boat.
Oh, look, Screnzies with 100+ page counts! Yippee!
But, really. We need to start writing. Except I know from experience that just telling you to "start" writing or even to "keep" writing is not enough. Stop. Take a breather. Reconnect to your story. To keep plugging along, and to write every single day whether it's one sentence or five pages is powerful advice - and it works. But for me, what gets my nearly-halfway page count of 42 to that point is to write for the sake of the story. Keep it alive. Keep it going. Let it become what it needs to become.
And for those still at page 1 - you're not so bad off as you think. Your boat might not have set sail yet, but it has whole oceans to explore. Have an adventure! Poseidon won't eat you, I swear.
Know what time it is?
No comments:
Post a Comment