Screenwriting for Fiction Writers: Characters Yapping Too Much?

Photo belongs to misteraitch

Film and literature are obviously very different mediums, no arguing with you there. Totally different industries, totally different people, totally different experiences. But in some ways, they're not so different from each other. Both tell stories, create memorable characters, and get our butts stuck to our chairs for any insane length of time. Both also need a balance just right between dialogue and action.

Which means your characters must actually do something.

Fellow fiction writers, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. When it comes to writing short stories or novels, gobs and gobs of dialogue is not usually a good thing. Too much narration, and you start to wonder if your characters even exist. Screenwriters are posed with sustaining this same balance. While they might not (normally) have to worry about narration, the balance between dialogue and action is still a priority.

I love ABC Family's Secret Life dearly, but it's a great example of having your characters say too much and not do enough.

So how does this screenwriting lesson relate to fiction writing? Let your characters say just enough, then let their actions do the talking.

What do you guys think? Fiction writers and screenwriters alike, I want to read your two cents too. What are your takes on dialogue versus action?

No comments: