Writing Tips We Can All Learn From TV Dramas (Part 1)

Since I’m a writer, when I watch TV I’m not like a normal person watching TV. My brain is forever dissecting dialogue and analyzing character and foreshadowing story and plot elements. I check the credits to see who wrote the episode. (I’m hoping the same is true for some of you guys because I’d hate to be the only crazy-person.)

I’m actually more of a comedy girl at heart, but this past season I got hooked on a couple of dramas (both novel adaptations) that turned out to serve up some excellent tips in writing. Not just in screenwriting, but writing in general. So, even if you’re not a “TV person”, I hope you’ll stick around as I pit against each other the writing for two TV dramas, ABC’s FlashForward (canceled) and CW’s The Vampire Diaries (renewed).


1. Characters can make or break a story

FLASHFORWARD's Simon Campos is introduced as one of the two scientists behind the global blackouts terrorizing all of humanity, even though their little experiment is originally considered an “accident”, his involvement in the project is undeniable and to us in the audience, unforgivable. Until we learn that his uncle’s been using him since he was thirteen years old.
In THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, Damon Salvatore's character is a perfect example. Snarky and bitter, and lacking morality, he’s seemingly heartless. But we’re able to catch a glimpse of his humanity, however microscopic, in his search for the love he lost.
The one and only thing that drew me to both of these dramas is the characters. I love sci-fi, but more so in novels than TV, and I’ve never had a thing for vampires. But because both series proved excellent in characterization, I was part of each audience from the get-go. With either series, at first it’s easy to start smacking down labels – the good guys vs. the bad guys – but we soon figure out it’s not as clear-cut as that. Write your characters so that, just when we think we know them, they throw us for a loop.

Make sure you come back next week for another tip in Part 2!
____________________________________________________
Photo Credit: marvin L

No comments: