Let Your Muse Be Your Guide


Though your muse may be a bit more forgiving than your conscience. Inspiration is always a big topic when talking about anything creative - I have it, I don't have it...can you help me find it? We blame inspiration, or a lack thereof, for writing blocks, blank sheets of paper, our outdoor excursions that seem to get longer and longer every day.

Tell me you don't look out that window the second your brain stops working.

But the thing is, sometimes you don't really need your brain to work. A few months ago when I first noticed Adam Young's brainchild Owl City really taking off, I read an article about him, and one thing he was quoted on was that he wrote songs about places he'd never been simply because he'd never been there. I thought that was about the coolest thing ever. I've always wanted to write about a "road trip" but felt silly because I've never actually done it myself. It got me wondering, how much do we over-think it?

Sure, like you've never second-guessed your muse?

We think our biggest hurdle with inspiration is we're afraid to work for it. Thomas Edison's "genius formula" put it best. But I don't think that's always the case. I'm not afraid to work hard for something I'm passionate about, and I know of a few others out there who I'm sure would say the same. We may get lazy. We may lose sight of what we want.

Our real hurdle with inspiration is we question it. We think and we think, and we make the mistake of thinking on it too much. Things like, I can't do that yet, or Would anyone even like it?

Or I've never been there.

Doesn't matter. Our muse is not there to think. That's our job. It's not there to find clear-cut answers. That's something we do. Our muse is not there to finish but to start, and if we let it, carry us through to the end.

Photo belongs to azrainman

1 comment:

Charlene Ann Baumbich said...

Completely agree. Nicely stated.