Needless to say, I still watch all the kids networks religiously, even through the big shift both networks made in aiming toward teen audiences in addition to kids. Being related to a teenage brother and sister certainly helps me too. Recently I watched Miley Cyrus' music video for her new piece, The Climb, with my younger sister; and while I've never been a huge Miley fan, I have to say I'm impressed with what I saw.
Aside from the expected footage from Hannah Montana: The Movie and obvious shots of Miley performing, the overall composition astounded me. You have to admit, The Climb has something a bit more compelling than your average tween music video showcased on the Disney Channel. The somber blue tones accompany the inspirational ballad in a way very pleasing to the senses, and the visual symbolism with the rose...you might normally expect any incorporation of a rose to be cliché or overdone, but the lyrics alongside the visual capture the meaning perfectly. The actual lyrics carry a powerful message for today's youth, and even though we as adults might say, it's just Miley Cyrus, it's important to understand that with the kids of today, it might very well be Miley Cyrus that gets the message across.
The thing I appreciate most about Miley Cyrus is she managed to hold on to her unique presence and voice through it all. The world might recognize her as Hannah Montana, but I hoped that after the fact she would still recognize herself as herself, and I very much get that feeling from this video (despite the fact that it was made for the movie). She also presents a strong female persona for modern girls, exemplifying strength in a world where new social challenges pop up daily for boys and girls alike.
I thought the "journey" theme was slowly falling through the cracks as far as kids/teens are concerned. Seeing a video like this, in a time like this, gives me hope.
Life is just a journey.
- Princess Diana
No comments:
Post a Comment