Writers, Stick With Your Bright Ideas

Photo belongs to Repoort

“I don’t feel like it.” How many times have we heard that one before? I take it you’re probably looking for a cure.

Think about it. Often writers get stuck in that hard place between writing and not writing because they feel writing can’t be done without “feeling” like writing. You’d be surprised how many people say this. Or maybe you wouldn’t.

I, too, am guilty of falling into this trap. I get so stuck in that rut that I blame it on my muse, I blame it on outside circumstances, I even grab at the infamous “writer’s block” crutch, but we all know there’s no such thing as writer’s block, right?

We have to work at it. All writers do. Sure, there’s that spark of creativity, that feeling…but eventually, that initial feeling will fade. And we’re going to need something else to fuel our steam so that we can continue to create. Take it from Thomas Edison – 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Just look where his bright idea took him.

We expect ourselves to be perfect 100% of the time. But I’ve found dwelling in the perfect churns out more imperfect than perfect.

So, what’s the cure? Keep writing. Even if you don’t feel like it. Because the words you felt like writing a month ago still need to be said.

No comments: