Well, besides your local mall or online catalogue.
This past week I found via CopyBlogger a blog article from NeuroscienceMarketing.com about the effectiveness of ad campaigns that utilized the emotional factor rather than just the rational. Not only do I now understand why a not-so-athletic person like myself would even want Nike shoes as a kid, but the article also opened my eyes to something I already knew but never really thought about before:
To really sell a product/service, an ad must strike an emotional chord.
Still not convinced by the statistics? Take a look at these ads I hand-picked myself from magazines around the house (click and open image in new window for larger view). Some might not hit people as hard as others, but each ad has one thing in common - it harnesses a common human emotion to engage people in the ad and motivate them to buy what they see.
Need more proof? Every single one of these ads was able to engage me on a personal level, but only one of these products/services would I actually buy.

Product/Service
Jewelry
Common Emotion
Desire to feel beautiful and powerful (in this case, common mainly among females)
Brownie Points w/ Me
Although I've never been that great at the actual game, I love chess and chess analogies. By using a king and a queen as an analogy to male and female, you reach out to a secondary audience you might not have reached otherwise. Tacori got me hooked just by using chess pieces.
Would I buy?
No. Mainly because I don't wear jewelry. But they made me look.
Product/Service
Your World MasterCard
Common Emotion
Desire to feel fulfillment/enjoyment.
Brownie Points w/ Me
I just love trick-of-the-eye type of imagery, and designing an image of a MasterCard card to look like your own little island paradise is genius. And they still weaved the familiar into it - priceless.
Would I buy?
I already have Visa, but the fact that it caught my eye is a good thing. If anybody's ever unhappy with anything but MasterCard, an awesome ad just might be the incentive they need.
Product/Service
100 Calorie Packs Oreo Cakesters
Common Emotion
Desire to feel special.
Brownie Points w/ Me
The birthday card (didn't really intend that pun) is a fun one to play, especially when it involves candles and sweet treats. I'll admit it, I have a thing for candles (I love fire, too), so whenever I see one, I instantly have to stop and stare. Probably also reminds me of the countless birthday parties I had as a kid.
Would I buy?
Actually, no. I have a personal rule where I don't consume anything with "___ calories" or the like emblazoned across the front of it. Give me the real deal or nothing at all (I'm not a huge fan of boxed food to begin with). But the candle is so enticing, I wouldn't be surprised if I bought a pack at the store by sheer accident.
Product/Service
MassMutual financial services
Common Emotion
Desire to feel like you did the right thing.
Brownie Points w/ Me
These MassMutual ads immediately get me in the gut every time. They're just so heartwarming, and thankfully, not in a cheesy way. Not only that, but once they suck you in like that, you feel sort of compelled to read on.
Would I buy?
Don't feel I need it, but I'll always remember the company name from now on.
Product/Service
Heinz ketchup
Common Emotion
Desire to feel important.
Brownie Points w/ Me
To me, Heinz is pretty much equal to the lord of ketchup. Needless to say, that alone gives the ad a higher success rate with me. But that's not the reason this ad really sells - it's the tomato slices. As a kid, ketchup was my excuse for not actually eating tomatoes, and now Heinz just made that excuse look more realistic. We all want to eat "garden-fresh", but when we can't, there's Heinz.
Would I buy?
I already do, and that's what makes a good brand. Loyal consumers will buy no matter what. Which also makes an even greater point - no matter how successful Heinz is as a company, they still spice their ads up.
So, do ads really need the emotional factor? After findings like that, I'll leave you to decide for yourself. But one thing's for sure - bet you'll never look at an ad the same way again.
No comments:
Post a Comment