Free-e-Day: Poetry

NaNoWriMo ate me alive and just decided to spit me back out.

The reason I missed last Friday's blog post is because I wrote furiously from then until Monday night to make it to 50,000 words (for those who've been keeping up: I did!). But that's just as well because I've decided to make up for that with a blog post today in celebration of Free-e-Day (Dec 1st). For those who are unfamiliar with Free-e-Day (I only found out about it this November myself), here's a little blurb from the press release:
December 1st, 2009 is Free-e-day, a day when any independent artist, writer, musician or filmmaker can give something of theirs away in electronic form for free and anyone who loves culture can discover a wealth of independent talent in one place.
There are all kinds of free goodies over at the website - poems, novels, music, art - you'll definitely want to check that out. Due to the writing madness that is NaNoWriMo November, unfortunately I was unable to get anything major done in time for the event. But I did some digging around on my laptop and managed to find a few recent poems of mine.

So, for my contribution to Free-e-day: Poetry. I hope you enjoy.

People

Pigeon wings fill the sky

Flapping, flapping

Covering earth like a blanket

Floating, floating

Until they run out of air

A contest with velocity

They are moments between

Pale blue and carcass gray

They find their way by

Seeking memories

Each one a city mapping

Every train of thought

Rolling, rolling

Locked away and underground

Roaring to be freed from its tunnel vision


Carrier pigeons fill the sky

Flying, flying

Messengers without memories

Falling, falling

Hermes lost his footing, and

Somewhere a golden sandal

Sticks to a cloud

All warbling stops, and

Somewhere a subway

Goes blind

Flickering, flickering

Numb to the smile

Hiding in “simile”

It clogs the tunnels

With a frown


Memories fill the sky

Failing, failing

Over a pure blue

Freeing, freeing

Another day dead

It’s a big city after all

Bitterness in kindness’ skin

Confuses the sky as it

Vomits a sunset

They catch sight of a lone man

Watching, watching

Caring not where his enemies

But his friends lie

I watch him watch a lonely world

Waiting, waiting

© Tm 2009

No comments: